These tabs above will take you to my other projects which might interest you.

Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Advice for when you are anxious about praying in public.

Sometimes, we are asked to pray in a public place. Whether you are a new convert or a seasoned church leader accustomed to public speaking, you can experience doubts or temptations to "show off" and use the privilege of prayer only to impress others.

We all know that when praying in public, we need to forget who is listening and remember the One we are speaking to. One of the great essentials of prayer is seeking God. Therefore, your focus must be undivided upon Him and not those in the room listening. 
Prayer Quote By Charles H Spurgeon

The greatest reward in prayer is the encounter with God. If you seek the reward of the good opinion of those listening, you will not have either.

It is a mistake to rush into saying a public prayer. If you are called upon to lead or open in prayer or otherwise pray in public, it is wise to start by stating that your prayer will begin with the ancient practice of silence before God. Then, take a moment and be silent. It may help to draw a slow, deep breath if you are anxious.  

During that short moment of silence, force all thoughts of the people in the room out of your mind and fill your mind with the wonders and truths you know about God. In the moment, wait for a sense that God is calling you to speak. When you feel His Spirit prompt you, then pray with the authority of that permission. Resolve to talk only to the Lord. 

Let those truths you reflected on momentarily form the first statements of your prayer. It will most likely be beautiful worship.  

If you were anxious about what other people would think about you and your prayer, that anxiety would pass because you would be overcome by the delights of talking to the Father in Heaven.


Hear my voice when I call, Lord; be merciful to me and answer me. My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, Lord, I will seek. Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, God my Savior. Psalm 27:7-9 NIV


Grace and Peace
Adron Dozat ©10/8/24